Sunday, November 25, 2012

6 - Having entered the Nanowrimo winner's circle


May I just say. . . 

Wham bam chicken jam.





     I have finished Nanowrimo, with a final word count of 50787, for the first time since I first tried in 2010. I've been doing nothing but writing for the past few days, and now. . . it's over. I don't know what to do with myself.
     My novel is about a zombie apocalypse, with a lot of depth and insight and obscurity. xD It doesn't have a title yet, although I wish I could use the most likely copyrighted John Green title An Imperial Affliction. My protagonist is a 16-year-old survivor named Aster. She has become as much a part of me as I am to myself, and I love her a lot, even through all her flaws and whining. I'm not even done with the novel yet. I have more to add, more characters to introduce, more zombies to slay, and an ending to bring about. But I'm just happy that I've gotten so far. :D Now I'll put it aside for a while until Christmas break, when I'll finish it and begin editing. Sounds like a plan. Yes, good. And tomorrow I'll get to copy and paste all those words into the official word count validator. Heheheh. I AM EXCITE. THIS IS EXCITE. I'M EVEN USING A WORD THAT ISN'T EVEN A WORD TO EXPRESS MY EXCITEMENT. 
     I WROTE A FREAKING NOVEL. 


    And now I leave you with a small excerpt from my novel.

  Now I’ve entered the city, padding carefully down the street and staring up at the once magnificent buildings, which are empty and cold. Shards of jagged glass litter the road, along with twisted rods of metal and splintered wood. I don't know what could cause a city, a place so strong and invincible, to become so desecrated, as if some large and violent has ripped it apart.
   A terrible inhuman scream shatters the air.
   I spin toward the sound, my whole body tingling and alert as I aim my gun. My eyes are wide, taking in the tall gray building in front of me. It sounded like the scream came from somewhere behind it. Then, with awful suddenness, a cacophony of roars and moans rises through the air, setting my teeth on edge. My eyes widening, I back up slowly, leaping a mile when my back hits an old taxi. Somewhere close, there are a lot of zombies. The sound of their relentless hunger enters my ears at a low volume, telling me that they’re not too close. But they’re not too far away, either.
   And then, in an instant, my life is changed forever.
   A zombie comes tearing around the back of the gray building, which is about three hundred feet away. I ready my gun to shoot it. But the zombie has something large and black slung across its back and is running at a breakneck pace – not shambling. Not sprinting and roaring. Just running. Those movements are much too fluid, much too desperate to belong to a zombie. And then I catch a glimpse of dark hair, of limbs that are whole and skin that is unscathed -
   And, in the heart-stopping, earth-shattering, bone-crunching space of a single moment, I realize that it’s not a zombie.
   It’s a human.
   A real, live, unharmed, existent, tangible human being.
   A survivor.


1 comment:

  1. AHHHHH
    CONGRATULATIONS
    YOU WIN
    I CAN'T EVEN EXPRESS MY EXCITEMENT FOR YOU RIGHT NOW
    Next year I must try this. Yes.

    ReplyDelete