Saturday, October 27, 2012

1: Inheriexcitement, the finale


Today, I went to Barnes and Noble because of reasons. Reasons being THE AUTHOR OF MY FAVORITE BOOK SERIES EVAR WAS THERE. 



   We got there an hour early and were second in line. I had to buy a copy of Inheritance to be signed, for some reason involving support for Barnes & Noble. So I bought a shiny copy of the new deluxe version of Inheritance. Heheh. I felt stupid for not having brought any other books to be signed, but now this copy of Inheritance shall be hallowed on my bookshelf.
   Behind me were these cool people, and we started talking about Doctor Who and other geeky things. 


This is the picture that I drew to give to Christopher Paolini. It was really rough, and Saphira was far from being done.


Then this happened.


   I like how the respectful Barnes & Noble employee stepped back politely to let him talk, and then he was like LOL I DON'T NEED A CHAIR TO CLIMB UP ONTO THIS TABLE LIKE A DRAGON RIDER BOSS. I also like how everyone laughed pointedly at his handstand remark and how they uttered an obvious cry of dismay over him mentioning that this was his last Inheritance tour.

   I was so excited that I couldn't keep the camera still. Then he started signing books, and suddenly the first person was done and it was our turn.

MY CONVERSATION WITH CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI
A report by Julia
(With what was said in normal font and what I was thinking in italics.)

CP: Hi!
Me: nfdjksfksdbhlabsdhsabdhjsa Hi.
CP: So have you read all of the Inheritance books?
Me: Yes I have read all of them forty-two times each because forty-two is the meaning of the universe and they are the song of my people and they lie at the depths of my literary  heart and there is a special spot on my bookshelf just for them Yes.
CP: I guess I should write more books, then. I like your dragon necklace.
Me: adsbjkadbksalbdklsbdla Thank you. I drew you a drawing. (Then I awkwardly slid the drawing across the table and Christopher Paolini looked at it thoughtfully.)
CP: You drew this for me?
Me: Yes.
CP: That's very nice! Thank you. (Or something like that. I don't even remember. I was just like hibagabjhidahhgjia.)

I took this picture of him.



He was very nice and polite and awesome. Then he signed my book and I thanked him and walked away wishing I had told him that I read Eragon when I was twelve because I found it in a used bookstore and liked the cover because I had recently seen How To Train Your Dragon. I also bought Eldest, and I was so busy reading during my trip to England that I didn't even care about how bad public transport smelled or how beautiful the Yorkshire Dales were. Then I finished Eldest and declared, MOARRRR! and found Brisingr in a bookshop near our hotel and I started reading it as we sat down in a pub. I should have told him about how cracked the spine is on my copy of Brisingr, and how I've read Eldest at least thirty times, no lie. I should have told him about how I always bring one of the books in the series with me on every trip I go on. I should have told him about all the memories that lie between the pages of those books that sit on a practical shrine on my shelf and how if it weren't for the Inheritance Cycle, I wouldn't ever have wanted to be a writer and I would never have learned to appreciate a good book.

So that's what I should have told Christopher Paolini.

But at least I now have this.




No comments:

Post a Comment