Wednesday, March 6, 2013

6 - siblings and hitler


My brother and I have never really been close. I mean, we've been close, I guess, but he's always been rather aggressive, and I'm the total opposite. I know he loves me or whatever, but he's friends with a lot of my friends, and those friends of mine often pass on little snippets of things that he says about me when I'm not around. These things often hurt my feelings. "He thinks you're weird!" "He thinks you need to get a boyfriend!" And I, of course, being the quiet kind of person who likes to avoid conflict, have never confronted him about this. Even though I do complain about him to my friends sometimes, I would never blatantly insult him or gossip about him. He's my brother. I got really freaked out when my friends started speculating who he was dating. I was just like HELLO I'M HIS SISTER AND I'M SITTING RIGHT HERE HOW COULD YOU SAY TO MY FACE THAT YOU THINK HE'S HOT THAT IS WEIRD. It's only recently that we've been developing a relationship that feels right. He told me a secret today. Something that he doesn't want my mom to know about. (It's not serious, just a funny little thing that our mom would freak out over because she's our mom.) And I'm just really happy that he, like, confided in me, because he's never done that before.

It also just so happens that he's leaving for university in the fall. 

I don't think I'm really taking it hard. When I think about it, I don't really feel sad or anything. It's just something that's going to happen. I'll be sad when it happens, but I can't see myself pining over it. Not yet, at least.

So anyway. Today I had a test over Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, which is about the Holocaust. While studying, I started surfing Wikipedia, and I found my way to the article about Adolf Hitler after starting out at an article about the Giant Anteater. I learned that Hitler got married 40 hours before he died and that there is actually a baby picture of him on Wikipedia. 


Look at that face. I find it so strange that he was once a sweet child just like we all were, someone whose mother held his hand and washed his hair and loved him, only to grow up and be corrupted beyond recognition. It just makes me wonder how many babies living in the world right now will grow up to become evil dictators.

No comments:

Post a Comment